NATIONAL CERTIFICATE IN RADIO (FOUNDATION SKILLS)
Course available in Wellington, early and mid-year (18 weeks full-time).
2018 start dates: March 5.
You’ve heard it all your life – now get the full broadcasting experience for yourself! Discover the exciting world of radio and learn all the fundamental skills you need to start towards a career in this dynamic industry.
Gain experience in on-air announcing, radio promotions, copywriting, production and sales while hearing from some of the best talents the industry has to offer.
- On-air presentation: Learn the basics of preparing and delivering radio shows for broadcast on our in-house radio stations.
- Production: Record and mix audio content for broadcast – such as commercials, trailers, music and more!
- Promotions: We’ll get you out onto the streets and show you how to market our radio stations in fun and exciting ways.
- Sales: Learn what it takes to sell advertising campaigns and bring in the dollars for your radio station.
- Copywriting: Bring other businesses to life – learn all the skills for writing radio commercials with flair.
- Voice: Learn how to get the best out of your voice, use it effectively on the air (eliminate any bad habits while you’re at it!)
- Media law: Learn what you can, (and can’t), say over the airwaves.
- Industry speakers: Some of the industry’s very best talent share their stories and tips on the makings of a successful radio career.
Click here to enrol today.
New Zealand Diploma in Radio Broadcasting (Level 5)
Available in Auckland and Wellington (34 weeks full-time).
2018 start dates: Auckland – Monday, February 12, and Monday, July 16.
Wellington – Monday, March 5, and Monday, July 16.
This programme is currently pending approval. It is replacing the Diploma in Radio Journalism (Broadcasting).
The New Zealand Diploma in Radio Broadcasting (Level 5) develops fundamental radio skills and the ability to deliver audio, video and digital storytelling across a wide variety of media platforms.
Broadcast Presentation: Learn how to use your voice effectively and develop the vocal skills to reflect a range of presentation styles including hard and soft sells, character-reads, news-casts, live-crosses and more.
Radio Journalism (Auckland Delivery Only): Develop skills for researching, compiling and delivering compelling news content for radio.
Live Broadcast: Prepare and present live radio broadcasts – individually and in tandem.
Radio Production: Record, edit and mix audio content for a range of audio projects including commercial campaigns, features, station branding, news bulletins and more
Multimedia: Discover new media platforms and use them to enhance your radio content – includes podcasting, videography, blogging, photography, presenting to camera, social media.
Writing for Radio: Learn the art of writing for the ear, from creative advertising copy to captivating news content.
Radio Business Practice: Discover the secrets to selling radio advertising, brand engagement and packaging news and entertainment content.
Professional Studies: Understand the wider radio broadcasting landscape through social, political, economic, cultural, historical and legal contexts.
Radio Station Project: Develop collaborative, problem-solving, broadcasting skills through an applied radio station project.
NCEA Level 2 or equivalent with minimum 10 credits in English (5 credits reading, 5 credits writing) plus evidence of writing ability based on an interview, voice test and writing test and Level 3 NCEA English or equivalent and evidence of ability based on interview and writing/voice test.
Proven equivalence of entry requirements plus IELTS 6.5 (no band lower than 6.0).